Wednesday, August 3, 2011

19. Two Weeks of Lovemaking

Ever since I saw Richard Ayoade's "Submarine" back in June, I have been dying of anticipation for someone to inevitably put up the "Two Weeks of Lovemaking" scene on YouTube so I could watch it over and over and over again. After weeks of checking, it's finally here!



"Submarine" is an incredibly fresh British film with an offbeat, spontaneous take on the typical coming-of-age story. There is a perfect balance of trivial, idiosyncratic whimsy and subtle, darkly comedic drama. I think The Telegraph puts it best when they called the film "Refreshing, urgent, and original."

"Two Weeks of Lovemaking" is my favorite scene in the movie and is a montage of Oliver Tate's wonderfully specific and aesthetic moments with love interest Jordana Bevin. As Oliver narrates, he has "turned these moments into the Super 8 footage of memory" (love the idea of memory as a medium).

Played to Alex Turner's tenderly sigh-inducing "Hiding Tonight," these 2 minutes and 58 seconds are filled with rocks-paper-scissors, abandoned carnivals, heart-shaped sunglasses, red pea coats, spitting contests, paper sailboats, bathtub conversations, enchanted sparklers and quiet glances. 


"Dear Jordana, 
You are the only person I would allow to be shrunk down to a microscopic size and swim inside me in a tiny submersible machine. You're too good for me. You're too good for anyone.
Sincerely, Oliver"

2 comments:

  1. Love this scene so much and I would love to create something similar to it, do you have any tips because I'm absolutely clueless!

    ReplyDelete